Missing Link Sausage Nachos & Ice Age Slushies
We would normally say food like this is for younger folks, but Encino Man was older than any of us, and he would have loved these nachos!
You will need:
For the Slushies:
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries, cherries or other tasty and colorful fruit
- 1 lemon, peeled with pith removed
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 4 cups crushed ice
For the Nachos:
- 1 lb chorizo or hot sausage
- 1-8 oz can refried beans
- 1-8 oz can black beans
- 1 large bag tortilla chips
- I cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 cup shredded jack
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 1/2 cup sliced jalapenos
- 1/2cup sliced scallions
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro
- 1 set opposable thumbs
1. For the Slushies: Combine the sugar and water in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
2. Boil for 5 minutes, remove from heat, and set aside. (Unused mixture can be refrigerated and used at another time.)
3. Place the lemon, fruit and mint leaves in a blender and puree at high speed until liquefied.
4. Add 4-6 tablespoons of the sugar syrup (according to desired sweetness) and the crushed ice. Puree until smooth and slushy.
5. For the Nachos: Preheat oven to 350F. Remove casings and brown the sausage. Discard grease, add refried beans and heat until the beans soften a little.
6. In a large bowl, toss the warm sausage and bean mixture with the tortilla chips until evenly mixed.
7. Lay the coated chips out in a large baking dish and top with shredded cheese, black beans, sliced olives, jalapenos and scallions.
8. Bake for 20 minutes. (First make sure that you?ve discovered fire.)
9. Top with avocado, salsa, sour cream and chopped cilantro.
10. Toss back your crusty mops, wease the grindage and chill.