High Caliber Shells
No, we don't expect you to eat bullets. These shells are actually delicious pasta!
- 1 lb Conchiglie, or shell-shaped pasta
- 2 lbs eggplant
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped basil
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 figure enhancing, bulletproof Wondervest
1. Peel the eggplant and cut into 2-inch cubes. Place the eggplant in a colander, sprinkle with salt and set in the sink to drain for at least 20 minutes.
2. Rinse the eggplant well to remove the salt, then place in a clean, dry towel and squeeze out as much water as possible.
3. Put 5-6 quarts of lightly salted water on to boil in a large pot.
4. Heat a large saute pan with half of the olive oil until quite hot and saute the eggplant until tender. Drain on paper towels.
5. Add the remaining olive oil and saute the onion over medium heat until golden brown. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds or so.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes, increase the heat to medium-high and cook 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, add the pasta all at once to the boiling water and stir immediately to prevent sticking. Cover the pot until the water returns to a boil, then uncover and cook according to package instructions or a little less for al dente, stirring often.
8. Add the eggplant cubes to the sauce and reduce the heat to low.
9. Drain the pasta into a colander over a large pasta bowl (this heats up the bowl nicely) and wipe the bowl dry.
10. Toss the pasta with the sauce, along with fresh basil and the ricotta. Season with freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese.
11. Invite a new friend to join you for dinner (but be sure to perform a thorough background check first).