Knight's Tale, A"
See, you "lance" the food with skewers before grilling it. I know, it's a stretch. Why don't you try to think of a recipe title for a medieval movie!
You will need:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- Zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1 whole vanilla bean split lengthwise, seeds scraped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 un-sliced brioche, cut into 1 1/2" cubes
- Plus, some or all of the following fresh fruit: Cubed pineapple, kiwi, mango, star fruit, peaches, banana, apricots, or berries,
- 16 metal or bamboo skewers
1. In a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, combine the water, brown sugar; citrus zest, vanilla bean and cinnamon.
2. Slowly bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often to ensure that the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and add the rum.
3. Thread your choice of fruit onto skewers alternating with brioche cubes (tip: use double parallel skewers and the fruit won't spin when you try to turn it on the grill.)
4. Brush the kebobs with rum sauce and grill or broil until golden brown.
5. Brush with more sauce, top with whipped cream and dust with cinnamon. Serve with assorted berries, if desired.