76 trombones (with 110 coronets right behind)
1.Adjust oven rack to lower third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9"x2" round cake pans and set aside.
2. Mix the carrots, lemon juice, vanilla, pineapple, golden raisins, walnuts, and 1 cup of granulated sugar in a mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Combine remaining granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices; mix well. Add the beaten eggs to the spice mixture and beat well; then slowly whisk the vegetable oil into the egg/spice mixture to form a thick emulsion.
4. Alternately fold the flour and the carrot mixture into the egg mixture. Mix well. Transfer the batter into the prepared pans and bake in the center of the preheated oven about 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Combine and beat the frosting ingredients in an electric mixer or food processor and process until smooth and fluffy. Spread a tablespoon of frosting on a cardboard cake round to keep cake from slipping. Place one cake, upside down on the center of the round; spread frosting evenly over the top with a flat spatula held at a 45-degree angle. Place the second cake upside down over the first. Spread frosting evenly over the sides, then over the top.
6. Harvest tears from any favorite Garry Marshall tearjerker to rinse the dishes before heading off for a good cry.
Makes one 9" cake