Hot and Hunky Del Torro
Fill up on this great dish before you lock yourself in the trunk of your car.
- 4-5 pounds oxtail, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Olive oil, as needed
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups full-bodied red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons sliced and toasted almonds
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
1. Season oxtail pieces with salt and fresh ground pepper.
2. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium high heat and brown the meat well on all sides, about 10-15 minutes.
3. Remove meat and set aside. Reduce heat to medium and add onion, garlic, carrots and bell pepper and saute until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the red wine, bay leaves, stock and the browned oxtail. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 3-5 hours.
5. When the meat begins to fall from the bone, remove oxtail to a warm platter and cover with foil. Remove and discard bay leaves. Using a soup ladle, skim excess fat from broth. Add cocoa and puree mixture in batches in until smooth. (Always show caution when blending hot liquids ? never fill blender more than 1/3 full).
6. Pour sauce over oxtails and garnish with toasted almonds and sliced red onion.