When hanging out with Jack in the Outback, it's important for the girls to understand Australian slang. The following are some terms Jack may throw around during the show.
Any tic of the clock
- very soon.
Back of Bourke
- a very long way away.
- An argument or fight.
- someone working hard and only just making a living.
- man, guy.
- lazy person, layabout, somebody who always relies on other people to do things or lend him things.
- A festivity, celebration.
- Excellent, attractive, pleasing.
- very annoyed.
- A chat, conversation.
- A mate, friend.
Come a gutser
- make a bad mistake, have an accident.
Crack onto (someone)
- To hit on someone, pursue someone romantically.
- a funny person, nerd, goof.
- Slow-witted or stupid person.
- Someone who talks too much.
- a request for someone to calm down in a heated moment.
- true, genuine.
- Nickname for people who have a high opinion of themselves.
Full as a Boot
- good for you, well done.
- Very good.
Home and hosed
- used to indicate that something has been completed successfully and easily.
It's Gone Walkabout
- it's lost, can't be found.
Kangaroos loose in the top paddock
- Intellectually inadequate.
- somebody who criticizes.
London to a brick
- absolute certainty.
Mad as a Cut Snake
- a natural left handed person.
- friendly insult ("have a go, yer mug"), gullible person.
- somebody who'll never do well .
- A fool, an idiot.
Not the full quid
- not bright intellectually.
- an unsophisticated person.
- a disliked and interfering woman.
- I don't agree with you.
- using deodorant instead of taking a shower.
- straight away, in a hurry.
Make a Quid
- earn a living.
- pleased, delighted.
- big truck with many trailers.
- An American.
She'll Be Apples
- It'll be all right.
- to leave.
Spit the Dummy
- Get very upset over something.
- caught doing something wrong.
- a big farm/grazing property.
- successful people.
To Have a Lend of
- to take advantage of somebody's gullibility, to have someone on.
- having a large ego.
Useful as an ashtray on a motorbike
- unhelpful or incompetent person or thing.
- straight-laced person, prude, puritan, spoilsport.
- talk (a lot).
Did we miss something? Don't be a drongo, post it on our Outback Jack message boards
and share your wisdom with the world!