City of Angels"
Hot Wings of Desire
What would you give for true love? Now, what would you give for some really good chicken wings? Not as much? Okay, just checking.
You will need:
For the hot pepper sauce:
- 1 pound fresh hot red peppers, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup peeled and seeded cucumber
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sour cream
For the wings:
- 4 lbs. chicken wings
- peanut or vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon each: celery seed, chile powder, garlic salt, black pepper, and ground coriander
- 1 copy Wim Wenders Cooks Wings on a Whim
1. Combine peppers, garlic, vinegar, water, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Remove pepper mixture from heat and blend in 2-3 batches until smooth, then strain into a clean glass jar and set aside to cool. Cover and refrigerate until use
3. Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender. Blend well and transfer to a mixing bowl; cover and refrigerate.
4. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, hot pepper sauce, white vinegar, celery seed, chile powder, garlic salt, black pepper, and coriander.
5. Trim and discard the wing tips then cut in two at the joint if desired. Pat dry with paper towels. Heat the oil in a fryer or large Dutch oven to 375°F-400°F and cook the wings for 10-15 minutes in three or four batches. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
6. Drain wings well, transfer to a large mixing bowl and toss with the pepper-butter sauce. Arrange on sheet pans and bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Serve hot with dressing.
7. After dinner, pile the dirty dishes in the sink and wait for a kitchen angel to appear.