Journey to the Center of the Earth"
Molten Lava Cake
You'll definitely want to get to the center of Claud's "Molten Lava Cake." It's simply divine!
- 7 ounces high quality, chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons espresso or strong coffee or liqueur of choice
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting ramekins
- Fresh raspberries for garnish
- Powdered Sugar for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Butter six 6-ounce ramekins or oven proof cups and dust well with unsweetened cocoa powder, shaking out the excess.
2. Combine butter and chocolate in a small heavy bottomed saucepan over low heat. Cook slowly, stirring often until chocolate is fully melted and the mixture is smooth. Don’t overheat! Cool 10 minutes before proceeding.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and egg yolks and beat well. Slowly whisk in the espresso, the chocolate mixture and then the powdered sugar and the flour. Whisk until smooth.
4. Equally divide and spoon the cake batter into the prepared dishes. Refrigerate at least one hour and up to one day prior to baking.
5. Bake cakes in the center of the oven with a cookie sheet underneath to catch any spill over. Bake for ten minutes for super runny, and up to fourteen minutes for a slightly moist interior.
6. Cool cakes one minute, and then run a paring knife around the sides to loosen. Invert cakes onto dessert plates and dust with powdered sugar. Garnish with raspberries if desired.