Scorpion King, The"
One Hot Rock
Can you smell what the rock is cooking? And I mean this literally. Be sure to tune-in as Claud shows us just how easy it is to cook on "One Hot Rock."
- For the lamb kabobs:
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 24 bamboo or wooden skewers, soaked in water
- Pita bread
- For the yogurt sauce:
- 16 ounces plain yogurt 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and very finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tbsp finely minced fresh mint
- Pinch of kosher salt
1. Combine salt, grated onion and minced garlic in a mortar and pestle and pulverize into a paste.
2. In a medium-mixing bowl, combine the lamb with the garlic/salt mixture; add the remaining lamb kabob ingredients and mix well. Add ice chips if needed to bind the mixture. Divide mixture into 4 equal pieces. Divide each piece into 5 balls, forming each ball around the tip of one of the skewers and flattening into a 3” oval. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 45 minutes to an hour. (Or up to overnight).
3. Line a medium mixing bowl with cheesecloth or a clean, thin kitchen towel; dump the yogurt in the center. Gather the corners of the cloth and tie with string. Suspend the cloth from the refrigerator rack over the bowl (to catch the drips) anywhere from 2 hours to overnight. Discard the water and combine the now thickened yogurt with the remaining sauce ingredients. Mix well and refrigerate until use.
4. Preheat Hot Rock, outdoor grill or cast iron griddle. Cook kabobs 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve hot with toasted pita bread, rice pilaf, a Greek green salad and yogurt sauce. Delicious!
More information about Rok – Modern Stone Age Cooking is available at www.hotrock.us.