This may be the easiest--and tastiest--loaf of bread you've ever made. Hey, we know not everyone has their own live-in cook and housekeeper.
You will need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4-teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2-teaspoon salt
- 3 large, over-ripe, darkly speckled bananas, mashed well (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1-1/4 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped coarse
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4-cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and preheat oven to 350°. Generously Butter a 9-inch loaf pan; flour the pan, shake out excess flour and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, Mix together mashed bananas, chopped walnuts, yogurt and vanilla; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and eggs and whisk until smooth. Whisk the warm butter slowly into the egg mixture
- Using a rubber spatula, alternately fold the sifted flour mixture and the banana mixture into the egg mixture until just combined, and batter still looks a little chunky - don't over mix. Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until loaf is proud and golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-55 minutes. Allow pan to cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 1 nine-inch loaf