Down to Earth"
Chili Re-in Con Carne
This tasty dish isn't really spicy enough to wake the dead, but it definitely has some kick!
You Will Need:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp. minced garlic,
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 5 tbsp chile powder
- 1 tsp. chile flakes
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. sage
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 twelve oz cans of beer
- 2-3 tbsp fine corn meal or masa harina (optional)
- Season meat well with salt and pepper. In a large, heavy cast iron Dutch oven, heat half of the oil over medium high heat until quite hot. Brown the half of the beef. Transfer the browned meat to a plate. Repeat with the remaining oil and meat. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan.
- Reduce the heat under the pan to medium and add the garlic, diced jalapenos, cumin, coriander, chile powder, paprika, chile flakes, paprika, oregano sage and bay leaf to the skillet. Continue cooking the spice mixture for another minute, stirring frequently to avoid scorching.
- Add the onions, celery, bell pepper, crushed tomatoes with their juice, stock, and beer. Stir well with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom and sides to loosen any tasty bits stuck to the skillet. Return beef to the Dutch oven and place mixture over medium high heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to a simmer and cook half covered about 45 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
- If thicker chili is desired, whisk in a few tablespoons of corn meal or masa harina (corn tortilla flour) and simmering another 10 minutes.
- Serve with plenty of chopped onions and grated cheese.