Into the Blue"
SCUBA Diver Scallops
Grab your snorkel and fins, we’re uncovering buried treasure…“SCUBA Diver Scallops.”
- 2 pounds sea scallops
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mango nectar
- 1/4 cup guava nectar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh papaya seeds
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 cups herb salad mix
- 1 large ripe mango, halved, pitted, peeled, sliced
- 1 large ripe papaya, peeled and sliced
- 2 small avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, sliced
1. Divide salad greens and fruit on four plates and refrigerate until needed.
2. Make dressing: Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth and blended.
3. Check each scallop and if any still have the small muscle attached, pull it off and discard it. This muscle will be tough and never be tender if cooked.
Place a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat and preheat about a minute.
While the pan heats, dry the scallops well with paper towels and then season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Add the olive oil and then the butter to the hot pan, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan. Once the butter stops foaming, but before it begins to burn, place enough scallops in the skillet to cover only half the surface of the pan. Be sure not to overcrowd the scallops in the skillet.
4. Cook the scallops 90 seconds to 2 minutes without moving them or checking the color. Once browning is visible along the lower edges of the sides, turn them with tongs and cook another 60-90 seconds or until the scallop is firm, the surface nicely browned and the very center still somewhat opaque.
5. Place the cooked scallops on top of the salad greens and lightly drizzle with the dressing. Delicious!