Those Annoying Pop Ups
As opposed to the kind you find on your computer, these pop ups are flaky and delicious!
You will need:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4" cubes
- 4 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- Plenty of different fillings, i.e. jam, chocolate, pesto, tapenade, cheese...use your imagination
- 1/2 C. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. milk
- spam...to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, butter, shortening, salt and sugar with a pastry blender or 2 knives until
most of the lumps are no larger than small peas and the mixture has the consistency of course corn meal.
- Dump the mixture onto a clean work surface and flatten it out quickly with a rolling pin. Scrape together,
return to the bowl; cover with plastic and place in the freezer for 10 minutes. Add the sour cream to the cold mixture and using a rubber spatula, fold together until the sour cream is evenly distributed and the dough holds together. Shape into a disc, wrap with plastic refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into fourths, refrigerating portions not being worked with. Roll out the first 1/4 of dough to the thickness of a quarter. Cut into 4x6" rectangles using a sharp knife.
- Spread on 1 tbsp. of filling on half of the rectangles, leaving a half-inch border around the edges. Use a fork to poke holes in the remaining rectangles and place these on top of the filled ones. Crimp edges gently with your fingers and trim.
- Bake at 350F. for 10-12 minutes or until the pie dough is lightly browned.
- Combine the sugar, vanilla and milk and stir together to make a smooth glaze. Brush the glaze on pop ups.
- Hook your toaster up to the computer and relax. The next time you experience a pop-up, it will be crisp, warm and filled with something tasty.
Makes one dozen