Mind Over Batter
There is nothing more heavenly than sweet and savory crepes. Join our gang as they create “Mind over batter.”
For the Crepes:
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2-cup water
- 1-cup whole milk
- 1-cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2-teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2-teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted melted butter, (plus extra for greasing pan)
Note: for savory crepes, omit the vanilla and sugar and add a tablespoon of finely chopped fresh herbs if desired
- Strawberry jam (or any other good jam)
- Lemon or lime and powdered sugar
- Green apple slices and aged cheddar
- Nutella and banana slices
- Cajeta (caramel)
- Gruyere and ham
- Pretty much anything that might taste good in an omelet...
1. In a blender or food processor, combine all of the crepe ingredients and blend until smooth, about 15 seconds, stopping halfway through to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. Cover the mixture and refrigerate anywhere from 2 hours to overnight.
2. Heat an 8-9 inch nonstick skillet or crepe pan over medium-high heat and brush with melted butter. (If the pan is hot enough, the butter should sizzle upon contact.)
3. Pour a scant 1/4 cup of batter into the center of the hot pan and immediately swirl to coat evenly with batter. (If using a smaller pan reduce the amount of batter by a tablespoon or so.)
4. Return the pan to the heat and cook for 45 seconds, or until golden brown; using an icing spatula or butter knife, loosen the crepe around the edges; flip and continue cooking another 20-30 seconds.
5. Cool crepes on a rack for a few minutes before stacking on a plate. At this point they can be filled and eaten or wrapped tightly and refrigerated/frozen until needed.
6. To serve, spread about ¼ cup of selected filling evenly over one half of a crepe and fold in half (or roll up burrito style). To serve a large number of crepes, place seam-side down in a baking dish and heat 5-7 minutes at 350F. Enjoy!