Love Potion No. 9"
This may be the strangest dish you've ever created, but it may also give you the best chance to get romantic with your date!
You Will Need:
- 1 lb fresh scallops
- 3 freshly shucked oysters
- 2 tbsp. salmon caviar, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup crushed ice
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1/8 cup diced blanched asparagus
- 1/8 cup diced blanched fennel
- as much shaved truffle as you can afford
- 2 feet of sausage casings
- hot dog buns
- 2 (or 3) consenting adults
1. Cut scallops, and oysters into small pieces and toss with the seasonings, egg whites and salmon caviar. Place in the freezer and chill for 20 minutes until very cold, but not frozen.
2. Transfer cold fish to work bowl of food processor and pulse 3 or 4 times until finely chopped. Add the crushed ice and pulse 5 or 6 more times until thick and emulsified. Process another 45 seconds while slowly adding the cream.
3. Fold in the diced asparagus, fennel, and shaved truffle. To check seasonings, heat a small sauté pan and fry some of the sausage mixture. Adjust seasonings, as needed, then transfer the mixture into a large pastry bag.
4. Rinse the sausage casing in cold water and tie a knot in one end. Slide the unknotted end of the sausage casing over the tip of the pastry bag then slowly and carefully squeeze the mixture into the casing.
5. Tie the open end closed with a piece of butchers twine. Begin creating links by twisting every 6-7 inches and tying into links with small pieces of kitchen twine.
6. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the sausage and immediately remove from heat and cover. After 10 minutes, remove and separate the links. Finish cooking on the grill or in a skillet with a little butter.
7. Eat with abandon. Once everyone is firmly spellbound, unleash the raw power of your new magnetism and entice the nearest guest to do something really dirty?like the dishes.