Dad's Kinda' Chili
When it gets cold and frosty outside, warm yourself up with this deliciously spicy chili!
You Will Need:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lbs. boneless, skinless turkey thigh meat, chopped into 1-2" chunks
- 3 tbsp. minced garlic,
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 5 tbsp chile powder
- 1 tsp. chile flakes
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. sage
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp fine corn meal
- 2 twelve oz cans of beer
- 2 cups fully cooked kidney beans (optional)
- 2 lumps of coal, 1 limp carrot and a corn cob pipe
1. In a large cast iron skillet or sauté pan, heat half of the oil over medium high heat until quite hot. Brown half of the turkey. Transfer the browned meat to a large Dutch oven or heavy casserole. Repeat with the remaining oil and turkey. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the skillet.
2. Reduce the heat under the skillet to medium and add the garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper and diced jalapenos. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the cumin, coriander, chile powder, chile flakes, paprika, oregano and sage to the skillet. Continue cooking the spice mixture for another minute, stirring frequently to avoid scorching.
3. Add the crushed tomatoes with their juice. Stir well with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom and sides to loosen any tasty bits stuck to the skillet. Pour contents of the skillet into the Dutch oven over the browned turkey and place mixture over medium high heat.
4. Add the stock, bay leaf and beer to the Dutch oven, stirring well to mix all the ingredients. Bring the chili to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to a simmer and cook half covered about 45 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
5. When the turkey is tender, add the cooked beans and simmer another 20 minutes. Hot beans may also be held on the side and added by request. If you want the chili to be a little thicker, stir in some corn meal, 1 tsp. at a time.
6. After dinner, forget about the dishes and melt into your favorite chair.