Fighting Temptations, The"
Swing Low Sweet Cherry Tart
Each week, Dinner & a Movie on TBS serves up a very funny film and a movie-themed recipe. Check out Swing Low Sweet Cherry Tart, created for the film The Fighting Temptations.
You will need:
- Cherry filling
- 5 cups sour cherries, drained
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces and chilled
- about 2/3 cup ice water
- 2 ounces melted white chocolate
- 2/3 cup crushed vanilla wafers, biscotti or almonds
- 1 beaten egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons course sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, salt and sugar. Cut in the butter pieces with a pastry blender or 2 knives until most of the lumps are about the size of green peas. Add the ice water gradually to the mixture with a rubber spatula until well blended and the dough holds together in a cohesive mass. Divide the dough in half and flatten each piece into a 1" x 6" disk. Dust each disk with a little flour and wrap well with plastic wrap before refrigerating at least 30 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cherries with remaining filling ingredients; stir well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Transfer one of the dough discs to a well floured surface and roll into a 15-inch round. Transfer round to a parchment lined cookie sheet and refrigerate 10 minutes or until use.
- Brush each pastry round with a thin layer of white melted chocolate, leaving a 2 inch border unpainted. Sprinkle either the cookie crumbs or nuts in an even layer over the white chocolate. Then arrange the cherry mixture atop the cookie crumbs. Working in a circle, fold and pleat the edges of the dough up and just over the edge of the cherry mixture. Brush the pleated edges with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with course sugar.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until the crust in golden brown and the fruit tender and bubbly. Cool 10 minutes and serve with your favorite vanilla ice cream.