You Dim Sum and You Lose Sum
Sure, there are a lot of steps in this recipe, but they all lead to the same destination: deliciousness.
For the pastry:
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
For the roast meat filling:
- 1 cup roasted and chopped pork, chicken or duck
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
For the shrimp filling:
- 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 cup rock shrimp, cooked and chopped
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Salt and white pepper to taste
For the red bean paste filling:
- 1 small (9 ounce) can sweet bean paste (Dow saah)
- 1 egg mixed with 1/4 cup water
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Whisk vigorously and set aside in a warm place until the yeast begins to bubble, about 10 minutes. Sift 2 cups of flour and salt into a medium mixing bowl. Gradually add the oil and yeast mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon until the dough forms a cohesive mass. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, adding only as much flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking. Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
Remove dough from bowl and roll out into one long rope, about 2” in diameter. Cut into 1 1/2” lengths, and then flatten each piece in your hands to form a 3” disc. Toss with a little flour and cover with a clean cloth until use.
- Combine filling ingredients in three separate mixing bowls and set aside.
Place 1 tablespoon of a filling in the center of a disc. Gather the dough around the filling in small pleats; or simply twist and pinch together to seal.
Place buns on a small sheet of foil or parchment, cover with a clean cloth and let rise 30 minutes in a warm spot.
- Cook shrimp buns: Arrange in a single layer on a plate or steamer basket and steam 10-15 minutes over rapidly boiling water.
Cook bean paste buns: In a heavy Dutch oven, heat peanut oil over medium heat. Deep fat fry bean paste buns until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Cook meat buns: Place on a baking sheet and brush with egg wash. Sprinkle buns with sesame seeds and bake for 20 minutes at 325F.
- Enjoy the dim sum with your favorite dipping sauces and hot tea!