Something to Talk About"
Shut Yer Pie Hole!
These miniature, fried pies give you a quick fix of fruity goodness!
You will need:
- 6-8 cups fresh or frozen pie fruit
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 6 tbsp. instant tapioca
- 1/8 tsp. each cinnamon and allspice
- 1 big batch of your favorite pie dough
- Powdered sugar
- 1 mouthful juicy gossip
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, toss together the fruit, orange marmalade, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, tapioca, cinnamon, and allspice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
2. To make a pie hole, roll a golf ball-sized piece of pie dough between your palms until rounded.
3. Using your thumbs, create an indentation in the dough ball large enough to accommodate 2 tsp. of the cooled filling.
4. Carefully spoon the filling into the dough ball, and seal by pinching the edges together.
5. Heat oil or shortening in small saucepan over medium heat. Fry 2-3 at a time in hot oil until golden. Drain and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
6. Of course, it goes without saying that if anyone complains about the mess you just made in the kitchen...tell them to shut their pie hole.