My Best Friend's Wedding"
For Better or for Wurst
Ready to get busy? Stuffing these sausages with your loved one will prove to be a total bonding experience!
You will need:
- 2 1/2 pounds pork shoulder butt or loin
- 1 1/2 pounds lean beef or veal shoulder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 pound cold bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup ice-cold red wine
- 2-3 feet of sausage casings (ask your butcher)
- 2 quarts of your favorite beer
- Water, as needed
- Trim meat of sinew and cut into 1" cubes. Combine with seasonings and mix together well. Cover and place in freezer for 20-30 minutes until very cold, but not quite fully frozen.
- Use either a meat grinder or food processor to first grind the bacon. Next grind the ice-cold seasoned meat. To check seasonings, heat a small sauté pan and fry up a small patty of the sausage mixture. Adjust seasonings, as needed, and then transfer the mixture into a large pastry bag.
- Rinse the sausage casing in cold water and tie a knot in one end. Slide the unknotted end of the sausage casing over the tip of the pastry bag then slowly and carefully squeeze the mixture into the casing.
- Tie the open end closed with a piece of butchers twine. Begin creating links by twisting every 6-7 inches and tying into links with small pieces of kitchen twine.
- In a large stockpot, combine the beer and enough water to half fill the pot. Bring to a boil, add the sausage and then immediately remove from heat and cover. After 10 minutes, remove and separate the links. Finish cooking wurst on the grill or in a skillet until golden brown. Serve grilled sausages on a homemade bun with spicy mustard, sauerkraut, and cold beer. (A good sauerkraut recipe can be found on our Dinner and a Movie website from the "Sweet November" movie.)
Yields: 12 6-inch sausages